The International Food Expo UTAGE 2017 in Osaka
- The International Food Expo UTAGE 2017 in Osaka
Takehiro Honjo Chair, Executive Committee for the International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka
I am very honored to announce that we at the Executive Committee for the International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka will hold the International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka at Intex Osaka (Suminoe-ku, Osaka City) during the 10 days from April 28 to May 7 in 2017, under joint sponsorship with the Osaka Restaurant Management Association and the Kansai • Osaka 21st Century Association.
This international festival has been held in Osaka, the city of food, every four years since 1985. With total attendance of over 480 million people during the past eight festivals, it is among the largest food events in Japan.
We will hold the 9th festival aiming to promote food-related industries and facilitate food distribution, as well as to improve and develop food culture through the reinvigoration of regional society and international food partnerships, with the support of related national ministries and offices, including the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries and the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Osaka Prefecture, Osaka City, other local governments nationwide, Kansai-based economic organizations, and food-related bodies.
Under the theme “Festivals of Japan; Comparison of Flavors of Japan,” we hope to make the festival serve as an utage (a feast) to share Japanese hospitality and vitality with people both within Japan and abroad, by widely disseminating information about the attractiveness of Japanese foods and festivals as regional resources found nationwide.
We, including all the members of the executive committee, also hope to execute our originality and ingenuity to ensure that all visitors, including families with children, experience the joy of this festival.
We look forward to sharing the International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka with everyone, as an opportunity to appreciate the diversity of Osaka’s food culture to the full.
Masahiro Fujio Chief Director, Executive Committee for the International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka
I am very happy that we will hold the International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka at Intex Osaka (Suminoe-ku, Osaka City) for 10 days from April 28 to May 7 in 2017.
Under the theme “Festivals of Japan; Comparison of Flavors of Japan,” we will organize an utage (a feast) that people both from around Japan and from around the world can enjoy, not only by bringing together various flavors from all over Japan, focusing on Washoku, the traditional dietary culture of Japanese people, inscribed on UNESCO’s list of intangible cultural heritages of humanity in December 2013, but also through providing visitors with the opportunity to experience festivals around Japan as symbols of our traditional culture deeply related to food.
We, all the members of the executive committee, hope to execute our originality and ingenuity to satisfy both the appetites and minds of all visitors to this event, by bringing together flavors and festivals from around Japan and adding hospitality and vitality to them in Osaka, which as the capital of food, and as the kitchen for the nation, gathered ingredients from all around Japan and served as the center of food-related information in the past.
Also, as the Osaka Restaurant Management Association, which always works to provide consumers with energy and enjoyment in Osaka as a stage for food-related industries, we will strive to cooperate throughout the entire process of organizing this event, from planning to every detail of operation.
We hope that many people will experience this utage and fully enjoy their journey through dietary cultures both in Japan and abroad.
Spirit and Skill of Utage
Humans seek pleasure. That is an instinct of human beings as intellectual animals. Pleasure emerges from mutual relationships, because we humans, as social animals, are most interested in fellow humans. We desire an atmosphere shared among people who build mutual relationships for pleasure. By sharing what we see and hear with other people, we try to share objects of interest. To expand mutual relationships, humans need the help of colors, shapes, and sounds. It is therefore natural that places where humans build mutual relationships are often decorated, and theatrical and musical performances take place in such places. People who build mutual relationships for pleasure also try to exchange their views and expressions with each other. Human relationships involve conversation, gestures, and clothing styles.
When building relationships with others, everyone tries to use every possible method to express themselves. People who build mutual relationships for pleasure, in particular, desire to share tastes and flavors, as well as to become inebriated together, to really experience the feeling of experiencing life together. Eating and drinking are the most basic acts for becoming aware of the existence of ourselves as a living being, and delicious food and drinks bring instinctive pleasure. Sharing them with others is surely the essence of living and enjoying such experiences together. When building mutual relationships for pleasure, we need delicious food and drinks, beautiful colors and shapes, pleasant sounds and conversation, and good staging. People in this country call that which contains all these things “utage.” Utage requires both a spirit of mutual relationships for pleasure and skill in providing greater pleasure.
Therefore, sharing the spirit of utage with people in the world and enhancing the skill of utage will bring deeper happiness to this world.
Written by Taichi Sakaiya
Theme of the Festival
Purposes of the Festival
- Sharing with people all over the world the spirit and skill of utage, which warmly receives people around the world
- Collaborating to organize a sustainable International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka
- Promoting the International Festival UTAGE as a brand to contribute to the creation of new regional value
Outline of the Festival
- The International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka
- 10 days between Friday, April 28 and Sunday, May 7, 2017
- 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Until 7 p.m. on the final day)
- Intex Osaka (International Exhibition Center, Osaka, at Nanko)
- Executive Committee for the International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka;Osaka Restaurant Management Association;Kansai • Osaka 21st Century Association.
- Osaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry JAPAN FOODSERVICE ASSOCIATION
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communication; Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology; Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare; Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry;Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism; Osaka Prefecture; Osaka City; Kyoto Prefecture; Shiga Prefecture; Hyogo Prefecture; Nara Prefecture; Wakayama Prefecture; Fukui Prefecture; Mie Prefecture; Tokushima Prefecture; Tottori Prefecture; Kyoto City; Kobe City; Sakai City; Japan External Trade Organization; Japan National Tourism Organization; Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in the Kansai Area; Kansai Economic Federation; Kansai Association of Corporate Executives; OSAKA CONVENTION & TOURISM BUREAU; NHK Osaka; others (applications planned)
- Admission fees
- Day ticket for adults (senior high school students and above): 2,200 yen; Advance ticket for adults (senior high school students and above): 1,600 yen; Day ticket for children (elementary and junior high school students): 1,100 yen; Advance ticket for children (elementary and junior high school students): 800 yen
- Cost of exhibiting
- 600,000 yen/ 18 m2 (one unit space)
- Targeted number of unit spaces
- 600 plots
- Targeted attendance
- 500,000 people
Overall layout of the venue
Access to the Venue
Please use public transportation to visit the International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka.
Nearby New Tram stations are expected to be densely crowded. We recommend using the Osaka City Subway Chuo Line and getting off at Cosmo Square Station to visit the International Festival UTAGE 2017 in Osaka. (The venue is a 10-minute-walk from the station.)
Access by subway and New Tram
- Change at Cosmo Square Station on the Subway Chuo Line to the New Tram, and get off at Nakafuto Station, a 5-minute-walk from the venue
- Change at Cosmo Square Station on the Subway Chuo Line to the New Tram, and get off at Trade Center-mae Station, a 8-minute-walk from the venue
- Change at Suminoe-koen Station on the Subway Yotsubashi Line to the New Tram, and get off at Nakafuto Station, a 5-minute-walk from the venue
On visit by automobile
The capacity of the parking space of Intex Osaka is limited. Please note that the parking space and nearby roads are likely to be very crowded.